The Kitchen Designer blog, by Susan Serra, CKD, CAPS, NKBA/USGBC Member
Our purpose is to explore new ways of thinking about kitchen design. We'll share our thoughts on the process of kitchen design, explore fresh ideas, emerging trends, and will also redefine (or celebrate!) tradition.
A kitchen should be more than replicating images from a catalog or magazine into the home, whether traditional OR modern design. Instead, express your individuality and create a meaningful space to live and work in! We hope you will be inspired and learn useful information along the way.
SUSAN SERRA, CKD, CAPS:
A little love for Susan...
- "She is an absolute pro". "What a GREAT blog on kitchen design!" Decor8 (blog)
- Featured in Apartmenttherapy.com in "Slinks" and more
- "Thank you for your dedication. A past Boardmember alerted me to your blog site after finding you on Google. How wonderful! Congratulations and best of luck in your venture." Michael Kelly, CEO, National Kitchen & Bath Association
- "Susan you always find the most stunning images but more importantly you back it up with great information. A true professional with a great eye. PS we’re both suckers for your retro kichens!" Jo & Kim, Desire To Inspire (blog)
- "Your blog is gorgeous! I really enjoyed reading your blog, esp. those Scandinavian kitchens. I will be checking in on your blog often!" Hatch at Design Public (blog)
- "I'm aware of your site and enjoy it! I believe you do bring a different voice and understand kitchens in a way that most bloggers don't." Charles and Hudson (blog)
- AD Barz, Meredith Corp. "Love the information!"
- "There are people out there who know kitchens, but not like Susan Serra, CKD, CAPS. I'm glad you're in the blogosphere!" Design Milk
- "Love the blog, by the way. I've started reading regularly." Janice Costa, Senior Editor, KBDN Magazine
- "I don't do kitchen design for clients so it's great to read your process and how you work on them. I'm really enjoying it." Absolutely Beautiful Things (blog)
- "I went to your blog and thought it was a great tool, already bookmarked by me." Mary Jo Peterson, CKD
About Me...In a word: EXPERIENCE!!
I've done a million kitchens. From volume track condo kitchens to NYC apartments to lovely suburban mainstream once-in-a-lifetime kitchens, to truly state of the art, fabulous suburban and resort kitchens.
The nutshell version "about me" is this:
- President, Susan Serra Associates, Inc. since 1991 (Kitchen/Bath Design Firm). The benefits of owning and operating a business include attention to detail, a serious approach to all design projects and clients, a global understanding of the need for excellence.
- Certified Kitchen Designer (1993) Continuing education is required to maintain status
- Certified Aging in Place Specialist (2008)
- NKBA Member
- Attendance at literally countless seminars, manufacturers' training, workshops, continuing education on updated kitchen design topics over 20 years.
- Award Winning Designs by - NKBA, NARI, others
- Founder: Bornholm Kitchen www.bornholmkitchen.com
- Founder: Scandinavian Made www.scandinavianmade.com
FEATURES IN THE MEDIA
- Frequent "go-to" source on the topic of kitchen design for national media - Financial Times, HGTV, Better Homes & Gardens Publications (design work and insight on kitchen topics featured frequently since 1997-approx 35 features), Oprah.com, Hearst Publications, Consumer Reports magazine, Reader's Digest Fresh Home magazine, Rachel Ray magazine, LA Times, Martha Stewart Radio kitchen expert, The Washington Post, The New York Times, syndicated features on kitchen design, Holmes on Holmes, Dacor, Kohler, Featured Contributor Houzz.com, This Old House, MSN.com, AOL.com, Newsday, Macy's Home catalog, kitchen used in NBC's "Law and Order" episode, kitchen/bath industry publications including NKBA Profiles magazine, KBDN magazine, Realtor Magazine, Luxury Home Quarterly, K+BB magazine, numerous blogs including Dwell's kitchen blog, House Beautiful, Marvin Windows, Decor8, Design*Sponge, Divine Caroline, Design Milk, Apartment Therapy, Fresh Home (blog), Thekitchn, Desire to Inspire, radio, and other notable media sources
- Kohler, Moen, Wayfair - Occasional blogger/featured content
- Blogger - Cultivate.com (Williams-Sonoma's kitchen site)
- Author/Blogger - thekitchendesigner.org is the most widely read blog on kitchen design, authored by a professional kitchen designer!
- Author/Bogger - scandinaviankitchens.com
- Kitchen designs on four magazine covers
- Designs/quotes in books: Right Sizing Your Home by Gale Steves, New Kitchen Ideas That Work, Decorate by Holly Becker of the decor8 blog
- (Past) Sears official kitchen blogger; Decorati.com kitchen blogger
OF SPECIAL NOTE
- Judge of best new products at KBIS (yearly) for K+BB magazine - national kitchen/bath industry publication
- Judge for "Best of Show" products (yearly) for annual KBIS (kitchen industry) show
- Judge for KBDN Magazine for Best Kitchen Design
- Owned and operated for 7 years the only professional community website for kitchen designers across the U.S., content of which was used regularly in a column in KBDN magazine
- Speaker on American Kitchen Design, Parrish Museum, Southampton, NY
- Panelist at NKBA seminar at KBIS on Independent vs Showroom Kitchen Designer Opportunities
- Speaker at KBDN conference on Creative Kitchen Design
- Speaker at IFDA in New York City on social media
- Speaker at NKBA meeting in New York city on social media
- Speaker at NKBA metro New York (Long Island) chapter on social media
- Speaker on American Kitchen Trends at Spain's kitchen exhibition, SICI, in Madrid September 2010
- Presentation at Corcoran Sunshine NYC, leader in luxury residential development, on Kitchen Design Trends
- Thermador Design Council
- BLANCO Design Council
- Sole professional kitchen designer named and quoted multiple times within a General Electric press release on kitchen trends in the US June 2010
- Invitation to confidential strategic planning summits by two major brands in kitchen/bath industry
- Best of Houzz - first award 2012
- Kitchen design concept selected for use by Blanco in their 2011 catalog
- Kitchen designs used in two cabinet manufacturer's catalogs and websites, one on the cover
- Fun Note: My kitchen design (actual client's kitchen image) used on a fleet of trucks for Quality Custom Cabinetry (see below)
- Video taped by Moen, one of two designers for the Global Moen President's speech on the State of the Industry at KBIS 2013
Suffice to say that I'm kitchen obsessed. And, I like to reinvent the wheel any chance I get!
I'm happy to have this blog to share my thoughts on a variety of subjects relating to kitchen design and remodeling. Please join in the conversation.
I'm glad you're here! -Susan
Home and Garden