The Kitchen Designer

Thanks for stopping by! I'm Susan Serra, certified kitchen designer, and my mission is to take kitchen design style, function and analysis to a higher level. Here's why the kitchen has the most honored place in the home - all five senses reside in the kitchen.  Best...Susan  Contact: susan@susanserraassociates.com

Follow my personal profile here on Google+ for LOTS of fresh content! Google+




Subscribe by Email


houzz interior design ideas

Follow on Bloglovin

Interior Design Blogs
Kitchen Design


Our webshop of handmade Scandinavian rugs and ceramics


Scandinavian inspired, warmly modern kitchens


Custom kitchen design by Susan Serra, CKD, CAPS

« Kitchen Design Whine | Main | A Long Island Kitchen Designer »

Kitchen Remodeling - Do I Hire An Engineer Or Architect?

One of my kitchen remodeling projects in Nassau County, Long Island, has a structural issue. An engineer, who I use on occasion, went to my client's home yesterday morning. The client had also called in another engineer, previously, just to evaluate more than one engineer.

Yesterday was my engineer's third visit. The first was to survey some structural issues, at which time he explained which areas he needed access to, so that he could see the structure in the ceiling. We were planning to open a doorway into a family room and there was some funky beam work in the lower height family room, just beyond the kitchen, ending with a column hidden inside a wall. I needed a doorway in that wall widened.

We had part of the ceiling removed so that it was accessible to the engineer, at which time, he returned, and saw what he needed to see. I like this engineer. He's a thoughtful sort of person. He runs ideas out loud, listens to our ideas as well, and the collaboration just works so well. He's also very conservative. He's a stickler for details. All that, and a pleasant person too. He stayed about 2 hours for each visit, going upstairs, downstairs, basement, garage, and outside. I like that.

$250 for each visit so far. I think that's reasonable, considering the length of time he stayed, when one wants the house to remain standing, don't you?

Engineer.jpgToday he went back again, a third time, as the client had decided to go ahead and have him draw plans for the new ceiling/beam work. He called me after, to tell me he saw one other detail that he did not see before. I'm glad he returned! He will charge $750 to draw the beam details for the contractor to follow. He'll be in touch with the contractor as the work progresses. 

What about calling in a contractor? Contractors are good and very knowledgeable, as they deal with structure every day (well, often, anyway). When I'm noodling around with a client's home, however, I go for the professional with the state license, an architect or engineer. 

What I think I may do next is, perhaps, get a second opinion on the structural plan, once it is designed. Why not? I'm a cautious kind of person, perhaps to a fault. I take my responsibility seriously, referring an engineer to a homeowner. I will probably pay for this second opinion myself, and also, risk alarming the client just a bit by yet another engineer's visit. But, I'm a bit obsessive that way, when it is not my area of expertise. It's a $220,000 renovation, I think another $250 is not a big deal. Probably totally unnecessary, no doubt, and that's ok. The engineer is licensed and will put the proper seal on the drawings, a critical piece of information to be aware of.

Engineer Or Architect? 

You may call on either an engineer or an architect to design small and/or simple structural work in your home, which is what we are speaking about here.

An architect is, by definition, also focused on the design of a home in a larger way, so the point of view may be slightly different. If the work is straight forward, with little design impact, an engineer could suffice. A (fancy) architect may charge more than an engineer, but as in any business, operation costs vary, so I would not assume that. Me, I just like the fact that an engineer is concerned with only one aspect of a residence, structure, so my first call is usually to an engineer, unless there are design issues I'd like to collaborate on, then it's an architect, hands down. These have been real pieces of my thought process connected to a real project that I thought might be interesting to share with you!

Here is some great advice on how to hire an engineer or architect. Coming from California, earthquake territory, it is especially good, and very clear, advice. From earthquakecountry.info. Please take a look! It is the most important part of this post. The website also mentions the Structural Engineers Association. Please, also, be aware of the American Institute of Architects.

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (2)

Susan, you are a wealth of information! I will be referring to your blog often for my own work! I do general interior design, but concentrated on Kitchen Design years ago. When I do kitchens now, it is always in conjunction with an architect and/or contractor, but your experience definitely would be helpful to me! We are in the process of remodeling our own house which also took the expertise of a very fine engineer: (major structural issues). You are right. I would not attempt without one! Great post! Thankyou! :)

August 7, 2007 | Unregistered Commenterkatiedid

For better kitchen Decor, fixing engineers is the best choice . . .


house for sale by owner

November 28, 2008 | Unregistered CommenterMichael

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>