What a pleasure to be on Martha Stewart again, today, my third appearance. It's always fun and inspiring to chat with Brian Kelsey on Morning Living - he has so MANY quick, out-of-the-box great ideas on making your home your personal sanctuary - not to mention creative laboratory!
Here are tips on summer style for the kitchen that I prepared, which, at this writing before the show, I'm not sure we will get to cover. Please add yours too!
- change out kitchen/breakfast room rugs for a casual/summery look
- de-clutter countertops (de-clutter at the change of each season to keep ahead of clutter accumulation & dust)
- gather vases nearby in different sizes for freshly cut garden flowers for a fragrant (and colorful) and ever changing treat from nature
- speaking of vases-flea market finds of mason jars add a country vibe – better yet, paint the inside of these fun jars bold or pastel colors
- start an indoor kitchen herb garden - you'll have success via increased daylight over spring/summer months
- change/remove window treatments for a lighter look
- replace the breakfast room seat cushions for a fresh look
- have outdoor cooking equipment accessible & rethink/rearrange indoor summer storage needs - i.e. salad bowls, stainless skewers, grill racks
- keep outdoor dishes/glasses/flatware accessible
- keep outdoor platters accessible
- fill a glass bowl with limes and lemons for a citrus and color vibe
- fill a mason jar with fresh herbs in a little waer – savory scent will last nearly a week
- keep kitchen stocked with easy nibbles – cheeses, nuts, olives & drinks for spontaneous alfresco dining
- use your COLORFUL plastic dishes and glasses and for easy living
- stylish melamine trays are great for multiple uses-colorful
- add sheer breezy panels on windows
- fresh hand towels in summer colors
- fresh fragrant candles, hand soap, citrus potpourrin
- natural fibers – baskets, fiber rugs, placemats for that earthy organic look
- coastal themed decorative objects – on textiles, jars of shells, nautical prints/paintings
- hunt on the beach for driftwood, sea glass, shells, rocks
- bring outdoor terracotta pots - even the large ones, indoors for indoor garden style-a great look
See my pinterest board for Martha Stewart summer style listeners!
A bundle of fresh colored summer rugs!